Re: [RFD]: Egor's proposal for a Cygwin server process

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corinna Vinschen" <vinschen@redhat.com>

> > Most importantly: I think that the daemon interface needs a
some-what fo
> > rmal API for us in the peanut gallery that want to be able to add
calls
> > to it in the future.
>
> Yep, that's too. But be aware that the interface to the server
> process is only meant to be used INSIDE of Cygwin. For example,
> the `seteuid()' call could be implemented as a call to the
> server in future:
>
> int
> seteuid (uid_t uid)
> {
>   if (os_being_run == winNT)
>     {
>       cygsrv_message msg;
>       msg.set_message_type (CYGSRV_SETEUID);
>       msg.add_ulong_parameter (uid);
>       msg.call_cygwin_server ();
>       return msg.get_int_result ();
>     }
> }

I presume you use NT only there because seteuid was your example?

> and the cygsrv_message class would implement the actual protocol.

And the interface to that is an API. Sure it's a private API, but all
the same it's an API. Thats what I'm suggesting should be clearly
setout. (Not necessarily on day 1, but before I get back into IPC :])

Rob

mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com