Re: Disappearing rxvt Windows -- can anyone else duplicate this problem?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 09:20:04PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >Earnie,
> >
> >On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 05:13:48PM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >> You know about the -tn switch to rxvt don't you?
> >
> >Yes, but you are missing the point which is the following bash construct:
> >
> >    term=$(cat $TERMFILE)
> >
> >causes problems for Cygwin -- not how I choose to set my TERM variable.
>
> I'm sorry to say that I can't duplicate this.
>
> I put the above, and nothing but the above in my .bash_profile and rxvt
> still operates properly.

I don't think it has to do with setting the TERM.  I find it to be a
race condition.  Today I see that it will sporadically disappear (bring
up the dos command window, try starting bash - the window title changes
to bash, before it exists).  I tried using strace to capture the event
but strace slows down the process enough to avoid the race.  Chris, you
might want to try opening several processes of rxvt, I see it occurring
(today, with my mouth held just right) with trying to open more than
three processes.

Earnie.