Re: Need name and functionality suggestions for a new utility

egor duda wrote:

> but i want to use these environments (gasp) simultaneously! Ain't it
> a multitasking OS?

You've a lot of work to do to allow multiple versions of cygwin1.dll
executing simultaneously to happen properly.  It has nothing to do with
multitasking OS.

> >> 2. changing $PATH is not enough. for example, system() calls /bin/sh,
> >> and doesn't perform $PATH lookup.
>
> EB> That's fine, in the scenario I described above the part that changed was
> EB> the cygwin1.dll not the sh.exe binary.  I just don't get why anything
> EB> else is necessary to isolate a test version of cygwin1.dll.
>
> the problem is not with test versions, but with separate environments.
> changing $PATH works as long as programs are called without full path.
> and calling application using full path is rather common practice,
> isn't it? :)

So what is the problem with the "full path"?  I'm missing your point.

PATH=/dll-1.3.3:/bin
/bin/sh executes sh using the released dll.

PATH=/dll-test:/bin
/bin/sh executes sh using the test version of the dll.

/bin/cygwin1.dll doesn't exist.

> EB> If a differing mount table is desired, and I do see potential PRO's for
> EB> such a thing then a CYGWIN option "mountkey=foo" should be added and a
> EB> tool "cygremount" that copies the "mount v2" keys to a user specified
> EB> value be given.
>
> exactly.

You still won't be able to use both environments simultaneously.  It's
either one or the other.

Earnie.