Re: Slowdown

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 01:08:19AM +0100, Chris January wrote:
>>I think you can take it as a given that I at least run bash and start a
>>few programs before I release a snapshot or check something in.  So,
>>cygwin should not be basically broken from my point of view.
>
>I wasn't implying that you hadn't tested it at all.  Rather, I was
>interested in whether the error I was seeing was unique to me, or
>whether other people had seen the same error too (e.g.  Pierre).  For
>example, the tty dup error that I see 50% I start bash is pretty much
>unique to me due to the way I have modified cygwin.bat.  But other
>errors may be experienced by more than one person and those should be
>given higher priority.

What I was trying to say was that reporting an error that occurs when
doing something as simple as just running bash and a program is
undoubtedly going to need a lot of tracking down on your end.  If you
and Pierre can exchange notes and figure out what's going on then
that's great.

>>If this still happens to you after today's checkin, then I'd really
>>appreciate if you could track the problem down.
>
>I'm doing so now.  I have already provided a full stack backtrace, but
>I will attempt to track the error done myself.

I saw the full stack backtrace.  It made no sense to me or I would have
investigated further.  If I was reading it correctly, cygwin was trying
to free some memory during initialization that should have been NULL.
AFAICT, it was trying to allocate the fd table during startup.  The fd
table should have been NULL at that point.