Re: vfork / setsid interaction

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 10:28:09AM -0400, Joe Buehler wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>
> >IIRC According to SUSv2, calling *anything* after [v]fork() other than
> >exec() may lead to unexpected behaviour.
> >
> >You might like to reference the SUSv2 and see what the expected
> >behaviour is.
>
> Granted, but compatibility with historical UNIX behavior makes it
> easier to port things.

Not if compatibility is a big problem.  And the vfork() implementation
isn't thought to be coincidentally compatible with some random UNIX
but to be a fast implementation to allow the common cases covered
by the standards.  Otherwise we could stick with fork() and a vfork()
which just calls fork().

Red Hat, Inc.