Re: ptmalloc2?

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Why does using ptmalloc buy you anything over the current scheme?

Since I'm not very far into the port yet, I'm taking Doug Lea and
Wolfram Gloger's word for it, but ptmalloc was specifically designed with
SMP/multi-threading in mind to reduce contention.  That is the assumed
advantage.  I also assumed that if it was good enough for glibc/Linux,
then it might be good enough/better for us too.

> You're asking if it's a good idea to use something without stating any
> benefits.

I'm asking for obvious up front objections/encouragment and pointers to
gotchas, especially license wise since I'm not very familiar with that
issue (contributing ports of code you didn't write with compatable
licenses).

I assumed people on this list might be familiar with different malloc
implimentations, and I thought I expressed my intent to attack a certain
specific (at least percieved) problem; thread contention.

I'm confused about what was unclear.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer