RE: stack overflow bug in ofstream::operator<<

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

Yes, and I was simply explaining why I thought installing a signal handler
was a thread safety issue -- I've already agreed with your other point.
The only problem is that some programs may not set the stack boundary
properly, relying instead on page protection to detect stack overflow...
Don't know if there are any in Cygwin.

> >  This is usually done either via global storage (with the
> > obvious drawbacks) or thread-local storage (requiring synchronization,
> > unless a pointer to thread-local data is readily available).
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   Isn't that *exactly* what cygtls is?

Right.  Well, the hope was to keep the common path (via alloca) as fast as
possible, while taking a performance hit when malloc is needed (not enough
stack space).  Checking the stack size every time will introduce equal
overhead on both paths, but I'm not sure we can do better (besides, the
overhead should be pretty small -- a memory read followed by a pointer
comparison).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT