Re: Handling NFS shares

On May 20 18:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just uploaded 1.7.0-11 to the release-2 area.  The main change is that
> Cygwin is now NFS-aware.  I put a lot of debugging effort into how NFS
> is handled by Interix and I figured out the (hitherto) undocumented
> details by using WinDbg.  Actually it's quite simple if you know how to
> do it.  The NFS client is using Extended Attributes to communicate the
> non-Windows details and actually you get pretty much the information
> send by the NFS server unchanged, per RFC 1813.
>
> While I'm writing this, it occurs to me that I missed to add the
> necessary mode bit information to the mkdir call, so mkdir doesn't set
> the mode on the dir correctly.  Bummer.  It's an easy change but it
> requires another upload, obviously.

I'm just going to upload 1.7.0-12 which fixes that.

> What's also not working is the uid/gid mapping from Cygwin uid/gid to
> UNIX uid/gid.  This requires access to the name mapping, either by
> accessing the name mapping server, or by accessing active directory.  So
> far I don't know how do do any of that.
>
> Anyway, NFS access already works quite nicely for me, better than
> accessing my Samba shares!  With this new functionality, maybe I switch
> to NFS entirely at one point.

If that doesn't sound amazing enough, what amazes me most is that Cygwin
can read *and* write real symlinks on the NFS share now.  You know, the
kind of symlink which is also a symlink for the Unix-based OS providing
the NFS share.  Except for the missing uid/gid mapping, this is really
exciting to me.

Oh, btw., this change also introduces a tweak to the symlink handling
which speeds up path_conv by roughly 10% (in my tests) when accessing
existing files.  Since we now have an open handle in symlink_info::check
anyway, it calls fs_info::update right there.  This doesn't only allow
to recognize NFS shares before trying to read the symlink EA, it also
avoids having to open the file more often then necessary.