Re: [MinGW-dvlpr] cygwin-1.7, pseudo-reloc v2

Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote on 26.01.2009 16:19:14:

> On 2009-01-26 13:20Z, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> > Quoting Charles Wilson <cygwin@cwilson.fastmail.fm>:
> >>
> >> BTW, one part of Kai's change (now in binutils) changes this (for PE
> >> 32bit):
> >> -  link_info.pei386_runtime_pseudo_reloc = -1;
> >> +  link_info.pei386_runtime_pseudo_reloc = 1; /* Use by default
version
> >> 1.  */
> >> That is, we will always act as tho --enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc were
> >> specified on the command line. This means the existing behavior ("-1"
--
> >> where we DO pseudo-relocs, but warn about it unless the user
explicitly
> >> specified --enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc) is changed to "just DO it
and
> >> be quiet" unless the user specifically disables it.
> >>
> >> I guess it's about time we made that change, but there was no
discussion
> >> of this particular bit.
>
> I felt there was a good case for disabling extensions such as
> this by default--that they're a "last resort", which should be
> considered thoughtfully before use:
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/19758
> But if the extensions have proved robust and popular, I would
> not object to changing this default, as long as it can still
> be turned off with '--disable-runtime-pseudo-reloc'.
>
> My reason for turning it off in my own work is to make sure I
> don't unwittingly write code that depends on an extension:
> gcc is my main tool, but I also try to support several other
> compiler toolchains.

You need not to have any fear that the warning isn't emitted anymore,
because the warning wasn't dependent to --enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc. It
is (and was) dependent to the option --enable-auto-import.

Cheers,,
Kai

PS: I wasn't subscribed to cygwin-developers, so I resent this post.