Re: default charset for imlicit locale specificatio

2010/1/19 Larry Hall (Cygwin Developers):
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>> I think that the second option is the better one since that's
>> what the user expects when setting the locale to some language.
>
> I agree with this

Me too. The only argument I can think of for preferring the current
solution is that it makes it easier (albeit in a somewhat unintuitive
way) to select the Windows ANSI codepage. But your point that that
codepage might not even fit the specified language blows this
completely out of the water.

However, as Thomas Wolff mentioned previously, there's a de-facto
standard for the charset used with each language when none is
specified explicitly, so implementing that instead is worth
considering. But at least the Windows-based solution should come
fairly close to it, because many of the Windows codepages are largely
compatible to their ISO equivalents. And it uses data that's already
there, avoiding the need for maintaining a mapping table.

Btw, just out of curiosity, how do you find the Windows locale for a
given POSIX locale? Do you have to iterate through all the Windows
locales until finding one with the correct ISO language and territory
codes?

Andy

ps: Great work on the LC_TIME/MONETARY/NUMERIC stuff as well.