Cygwin Rsync/SSH performance issue

Hi everybody,

I am using rsync/ssh to copy files from my computer to my server and
everything seems to function as expected, except performance.

During a file transfer on my home computer (Intel I7) there is not a
noticeable CPU load. But on other (older) machines the rsync/ssh transfer
consumes all CPU resources on the sending side. I noticed there are other
questions regarding this subject in the archives, but I could not find a
solution for this. Also throttling the bandwidth to a lower value is not
helping to reduce the CPU load.

I am using quite a basic command to sync my files:

        rsync -e ssh * <user>@<server>:/data

The versions of the software I am using are:

Cygwin: 1.7.1-1
ssh: OpenSSH_5.3p1
rsync: 3.0.6
OS: WinXP