Re: Utilize reparse points for symlinks

On Sep 25 09:27, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 14:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> Sounds like a good idea. I assume these still wouldn't work for
> >> non-Cygwin programs though? Could they still support them by reading
> >> them themselves (using DeviceIoControl with FSCTL_GET_REPARSE_POINT)?
> >
> > Yes, sure they could, the format will be documented. ÂBut the POSIX
> > target path only makes sense if you know the Cygwin mount table, of
> > course.
>
> Yep, whereby the most awkward question would be: the mount table of
> which Cygwin?

...as with any other symlink containing a POSIX path.

> Anyways, a few more questions about these reparse
> points:
>
> How do they appear in Explorer? What happens if you try to open one?
> Is Explorer able to delete them? (Just wondering what complaints to
> expect.)

They appear as normal files of size 0 in explorer.  If you try to
open one, the "open with" dialog appears.  Since they are normal
files, explorer can delete them.

> Is there a useful error message when trying to execute one from cmd?
> (C:\cygwin\bin\gcc is particularly popular for that. The current
> format results in "Access is denied", which isn't great).

I get this:

  "'foo' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
  operable program or batch file.

> Finally, would it be possible to write a system-wide handler for these
> reparse points that would make them transparent to all non-Cygwin
> programs?

In theory you could write a filesystem minifilter using the IFS kit
from WDK.  However, the file contains POSIX-specific info which makes
no sense from the Win32 POV.  What is the filter supposed to do?
Searching for a Cygwin DLL and loading it?  Seaching for a fstab file
and trying to evaluate the path by itself?