Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On 06/26/2011 06:10 AM, JonY wrote:
>>   - Do we define "long" as 32 bit or 64 bit type?
>
> I suggest 32bit, they'll be some awkwardness accessing w32api at the
> Cygwin backend if they're 64bit.

I very much want LLP64 to match Linux; the _only_ software that should
be accessing w32api in the cygwin backend is the cygwin dll itself,
which can take its own precautions to do correct conversions, whereas
everything compiled against the cygwin dll will be easier to port if it
remains like Linux with sizeof(long)==sizeof(void*).

I also hope that we can use this as an opportunity to move to 64-bit
time_t and NSIG of 64, even on 32-bit cygwin, which will be an ABI
change (similar to when we moved from stat to stat64 for the off_t ABI
change).

And as long as we are considering an ABI change, should we consider
moving to 4-byte wchar_t to match Linux?