Re: pdflatex errors in doc dir

On Jul 18 13:34, Warren Young wrote:
> On 6/28/2013 02:21, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> >after I upgrade my server from Fedora 17 to Fedora 18, I now get
> >an error message when trying to build the PDFs:
>
> This is a known problem in TexLive 2009:
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=563659#14
>
> That URL takes you to a patch that is supposed to fix it.

As I just wrote in my other mail to Ken, this occurs with texlive 2012
and 2013.

Unfortunately the patch doesn't apply cleanly, and the xsltsl lib, which
the patch refers, is not available in Fedora.  I downloaded it from
sourceforge, patched the offical inlined.xsl file accordingly, and was
able to build the PDF doc.

But that's kind of non-standard, not a generic solution.  Is it possible
to override the definition of the filename tag in our own stylesheet?
Can we include xsltsl's string.xsl in our doc dir, or is there a way to
do this in our own tag without using the xstlsl string.xsl file?

> I offer two alternate fixes:
>
> 1. Switch to forward slashes.  It shouldn't confuse anyone in 2013.

That's possible, but it's wrong to use them in documentation when
talking about DOS paths.  I'm more inclined to discuss other options
first.

> 2. Switch to FOP based document formatting.
> [...]
> The downside is the new dependency on FOP, and hence, Java.
>
> FOP is in many Linux package repos now, and where it isn't,
> installing from the dist tarball is easy.  Installing Java on Linux
> is easy these days, too.
>
> On Cygwin, you have to go through Cygwin Ports, and then hack
> /usr/bin/fop to add "-Djava.awt.headless=true" to the java command,
> else you're forced to run under X.  (The same fix may be required on
> Linux as well, depending on how FOP was packaged.)

That's really not an option.  It's much too complicated and I don't
want us to rely on non-OSS software just to build the docs.

The backslash weirdness could also be worked around if we had a way to
add a processing stage during the PDF build.  The problem is that the
PDF is generated directly from the cygwin-ug-net.xml input file.  If we
could generate an intermediate file, which is cygwin-ug-net.xml with all
includes resolved, we could replace the backslashes in filename tags
with double backslashes and feed the result to xmlto.  How complicated
is that?