Re: pthread_barrier

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 11:31:24AM -0500, Reini Urban wrote:
>In http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-07/msg00406.html
>Corinna hinted that pthread_barrier is a bit hard to implement.
>
>I found 2 nice non-GPL implementations, but I'm not sure about the license.
>There's one in libuv (which I need it for), which is
>https://github.com/joyent/libuv/blob/master/src/unix/pthread-fixes.c
>provided by Sony and Google (for Android), which seems to be MIT licensed.

This one is problematic since it seems like we'd have to include the license
when we distribute the DLL.  (Shhhh...  I know...)

>And there's http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bvs/cs267_hw2/particles/pthread_barrier.c
>without any license, looks it's some berkeley course material.
>
>Doesn't look too hard to implement.
>Should I ask the berkeley guy Brian Van Straalen
>or is the libuv version good enough for us?

Code without a license isn't any better than code with a license.  If
you can get someone to assert that the Berkeley code is in the public
domain that would help.  Otherwise, I don't think either of these are
viable options.

Perhaps someone could describe the implementations to someone who could
implement them from scratch.  That would be the safest way to do this
I think.