Re: forkables: About hardlink creation and NTFS transaction in rename()

On Nov 21 16:19, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> now working with the cygfork patches (hardlinks to retain forkability
> beyond exe/dll update): when creating the forkable hardlink using the
> earlier opened file handle I may get STATUS_TRANSACTION_NOT_ACTIVE.
>
> It turns out that when loaded 'some.dll' was readonly, then
> rename("new/some.dll", "some.dll") uses an NTFS-transaction to drop
> the readonly attribute, breaking the subsequent hardlink creation
> of "/var/run/cygfork/.../soname.dll" via the original file handle.

Do not use the DOS R/O attribute on non-FAT in a POSIX context.  Only
Cygwin symlinks of the Windows shortcut type should do that, and then
only for historical reasons.  And don't get me started how bad an idea
Windows shortcut symlinks were in the first place...