Re: Pseudo console support in PTY

On 03.04.2019 10:02, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Apr  3 09:55, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 03.04.2019 um 09:27 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Apr  3 09:18, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 02.04.2019 um 19:50 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
On Apr  2 19:16, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 02.04.2019 um 13:02 schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
Hi Takashi,

On Mar 30 22:08, Takashi Yano wrote:
Patch 0003: Support pseudo console in PTY. With this patch,
      native console applications can work in PTY such as mintty,
      ssh, gnu screen or tmux.
I've now tried your patched binaries on two systems. On one they don't run,
on the other I saw no noticeable effect, particularly no impact on the
pty/console interoperability...
Try starting cmd from your shell in mintty and do some native stuff.
I've now self-compiled cygwin dll on a third system and can run a cygwin
console.
But the build process did not generate the cygwin-console-helper, maybe
that's the reason why mintty does not start?
Can you give a hint that enables me to test the patch?

You'll notice two differences:

- cmd history works
In the cygwin console, it does not, echos the cursor-up escape sequence
Oh, right, ...

instead. See my previous comment that I think ConPTY should only be applied
if running at a pty. (And for other reasons only when starting a non-cygwin
app.)
but you got that wrong.  The conpty stuff *is* only applied for ptys.
So cygwin running as cygwin console still sets up a pty?
Still?  It never did.  Call tty in a console and you get /dev/consX.
Misunderstanding, didn't mean "still", sorry.
The ConPTY stuff only runs if the application requests a pty.
OK, but I think it should additionally be restricted to running non-cygwin apps.

By the way, when I previously reported the patch to have no effect, that was on a Windows 7 system, so of course it couldn't, sorry :/
Still failing to test the patch in mintty on Windows 10...
Thomas