This is the mail archive of the cygwin-licensing mailing list for the cygwin project.

Re: distributing CygWin on a CD with a textbook: how to acknowloedge

Thanks a lot. For sure we will fix the "spelling" of Cygwin.

For what concern the distribution it's ok, so we will not distribute
it on the CD, however let me explain why and how we would like to do
so. Maybe it can make it clear to other people.

We know about the fact that GPL requires distributing the source code,
however it is not forbidden to distribute them in a different way
(i.e. doanloadable from a web page). So this was our original
intention.

It's true that the CD will contain "old" version of the software,
however it can be useful for many students to test it rapidly, without
the need to connect to the network. Then they can download the latest
version from the site. As a matter of fact, the speed of the Internet
connections in Italy is not so high everywhere :-(.

I understand very clearly the point about support. So, the final
decision will be not to include the distribution in the CD. However we
will continue recommending it in the text.

Thank you

--
Giovanni Organtini
Dip. di Fisica Univ. "La Sapienza" & INFN-Sez. di Roma