This is the mail archive of the cygwin-licensing mailing list for the cygwin project.

RE: Licensing/Installer Questions

On 03 March 2006 12:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mar  3 07:01, Michael Banks wrote:
>> If we have a link on our website to download our product, which contains a
>> few open-source cygwin tools, then is it OK to have a separate link to
>> download the sources of those tools, just to try and save some bandwidth?
>> Would it be OK to have text on the website like "Our product uses a number
>> of open-source tools. To comply with the licesing for these tools, we are
>> required to provide the source code for them. The source code is available
>> upon request, so please contact us at yyy@zzz.com if interested."
>
> The basic GPL rules are

  In case you choose to skip or skim my rather more verbose mail, it basically
says the same as Corinna has written here, but I think there's one extra
point:

> - If you don't provide the sources, you must provide a *written* offer,
>   valid for at least three years, to provide the source code on request.
>   This is according to GPL section 3b.

  I think the GPL is generally read as implying that those sources must be
provided on a physical medium.

    cheers,
      DaveK