typical cygwin bug communications (long)

I am trying to compile openoffice and it says "syntax error".

Please help!

---

I have a program that works fine on linux, hp/ux, and TOPS-10.  It *builds*
fine on cygwin, but when I try to run it, it says "segmentation violation".
Can someone tell me what's wrong?

---

I'm trying to run P411X and the inputs do not work.  I followed all of the
instructions on the web site.  Is this because I'm running Windows 2000 instead
of XP?

---

I have tried to get sshd working but nothing works!  I've run the setup.exe
many times and have cleaned my computer fans.  I've read the winecountry web
site but it doesn't seem to go into details about my problem.  I have tried
EVERYTHING but nothing works.  I've wasted many hours on this.  Please help me.

---

I am trying to get a program running.  It needs to have a matrix that is
1000000 by 1000000.  The program compiles but it won't run.  This works
fine on my Cray! Is there a new version of cygwin which will fix this?

---

I KNOW!  I had exactly the same problem!  I FIXED the problem by going back to
cygwin 1.3.9.  I was lucky that one of my buddies still had this version sitting
around because this version is GONE from the mirrors.  I had to hack on the registry to get things running.  1.3.9 wouldn't
recognize my C: drive so I had to switch to the D: drive.  I also had to type everything in upper case whenever I ran bash.  So, now I've switched to xterm.
That works better.

If you are having problems, maybe you should see if you can find version
1.3.9.

<GRIPE>Why don't they TEST this software before they release it???  And, if they are not going to TEST it, why don't they at least make the
(*&%&^%! older versions that WORK available???</GRIPE>

---

I would PAY for a STABLE version of Cygwin so that I don't have to spend
all of my time upgrading the 127 systems that use it every time there is
an update.  I really don't have time to spend fixing problems whenever
there is a new release.  Why don't they just release a stable release like
Mandrake?  It would solve a lot of problems, methinks.

---

Well, you are in for a world of hurt, my friend.  Cygwin is *UNIX* and UNIX
is known to kill puppies and other adorable creatures.  And, don't expect
any help from anyone here, either because they are all "mean".

Don't get me wrong!  I'm not asking for anything here.  I know you get what
you pay for.  I just feel for you if you think you're going to get any
answers on this question.  Just wait a bit and you'll see what I'm talking
about.

---

>please
> use the cygwin-xfree list for X questions.

He just asked a simple question.  I want to know about cygwin-xfree too
and I already am reading enough mailing lists.

---

I am a newbie who has probably done something stupid.  :-) :-) :-)

My basic problem is that whenever I run setup.exe, cygwin doesn't work.  The cygwin icon is there but when I click on it, it just brings up a black box.

---

I am a newbie.  When I start setup.exe, fill out all of the options,
choose download to local directory, unselect half of the packages, edit /etc/group, and
delete the log files to save space, nothing seems to work.  Can't
you make your software a little more newbie-friendly?

---

>You need to send your cygcheck output as an attachment.

Ok.  Here it is.

Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Mon Nov 29 00:47:44 2004

Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
[snip]

---

>You need to send your cygcheck output as an attachment.

Ok.  Here it is.

begin 664 /tmp/cyg
M#0I#>6=W:6X@0V]N9FEG=7)A=&EO;B!$:6%G;F]S=&EC<PT*0W5R<F5N="!3
M>7-T96T@5&EM93H@36]N($YO=B`R.2`Q,#HR-3HR,B`R,#`T#0H-"E=I;F1O
M=W,@6%`@4')O9F5S<VEO;F%L(%9E<B`U+C$@0G5I;&0@,C8P,"!397)V:6-E
[snip]

---

>You need to send your cygcheck output as an attachment.

I already sent it last month.  I don't see any reason to send it
again.

---

>You need to follow the instructions found on
>http://cygwin.com/problems.html.

I did!  They didn't help.

---

>Please visit http://cygwin.com/problems.html and use the guidelines there
>to provide more details about your problem.

Ok.

I'm running cygwin 2.427.

Here is my uname output:

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 norton 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) 20041125 23:22:18 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

I notice that sshd doesn't work on Tuesdays but it also fails to operate
on other days of the week.  I tried to attach a graph of my system's
memory usage for the last week but your mailing list software wouldn't let me.
I've tried renaming sshd to "opensshd" as mentioned on the http://geocities.com/consuela427/cygwin-sshd-tutorial.html
web site but it does not provide a login when I attempt to use it.  Instead
I get "command not found".  I have tried reinstalling many times.

Please let me know if there are more details that I can provide!  I need to get
this working!!!

---