This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
RE: Spice on cygwin?
- From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
- To: "'if even the autotool authors can't write correct autoconf scripts what hope is there for the rest of us?'" <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:06:07 +0100
- Subject: RE: Spice on cygwin?
- Reply-to: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
>From: Robb, Sam
>Sent: 19 April 2005 16:41
>> " BECAUSE AUTOTOOLS IS A SCREAMING INSANE MESS OF NIGHTMARE GIBBERISH
>> SPAGHETTI NONSENSE THAT WILL SUCK EVERY LAST DROP OF SANITY OUT OF
>> YOUR BRAIN WITH A STRAW AND LEAVE YOU REELING, DROOLING AND GIBBERING
>> IN A CORNER DRESSED IN RAGS AND ROLLING IN YOUR OWN FAECES. "
> What's truly and honestly amazing is this is one of the more
> *restrained* comments I've ever seen made about autotools.
I spent *hours* in the middle of the night the other weekend, when I would
rather have been doing what I was actually meant to be getting on with,
struggling to get autogen up and running on cygwin.
The fact that the various autoconf files for autogen are full of
completely invalid nonsense[*] so that it completely fails to configure,
reconfigure, reautoconf or build, suggests to me that the overall system may
well be too complicated....
[*] Really. They don't remotely conform to what the docs say is the
correct usage. Attempting to use conditionals that haven't actually been
AC_ defined anywhere is just the start of it.
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....