This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
RE: Vital information for anyone debugging setup.exe
- From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
- To: "'retry, abort, oh shit?'" <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:02:51 +0100
- Subject: RE: Vital information for anyone debugging setup.exe
- Reply-to: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
>From: Igor Pechtchanski
>Sent: 19 April 2005 22:27
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Debug messages just don't belong in dialog boxes.
> That from a person who put MessageBox'es all over the place in his earlier
> setup patch? ];->
Ummmm..... no! Those weren't messageboxes! They were..... erm...
BREAKPOINTS! Yes, that's it, they're just a simplified kind of breakpoint.
A way of getting the control flow to pause when and if it reaches a certain
point in the code. Yes, that's it.
Say. Why is it that you always see message boxes saying things like
"Fatal unrecoverable error, all data lost - Click 'OK' to continue"?
Why don't they say "Fatal unrecoverable error, all data lost - Click 'No
way is this OK' to continue?"
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....