Re: how does mailx work

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 01:45:29PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:

I've searched the net for mailing lists regarding mailx but there seems to be none. Then why ask about it in cygwin-talk? Well, since it is off-topic on the cygwin list and I might as well try my luck here, where all of you are intelligent.

Here's the question: How does mailx know which MX to use? I've got a linux box with the hostname test.mybox.org. Now, whenever I invoke "mail <user>@mybox.org", it delivers the mail to <user>'s mailbox in the local machine. How come it thinks that mybox.com is the local machine? The local machine is test.mybox.org but *not* mybox.org.

Any ideas?

Why do you think that mailx is making any assumptions about MX? It is most likely trying to run some sendmail equivalent to send email, which may or may not work too well on cygwin. Of course the source code would tell you for sure.

cgf

Oh, honourable Christopher G. Faylor, you really are just the man!!!!!! :) "Never make assumptions, check the code," I always tell myself. I checked the code and bingo, yes, it was invoking sendmail--the sendmail included with postfix. So, that solves the problem. Postfix, in the last analysis, gives the answer to the MX problem.

What makes you guys so great at guessing? You know what, honestly, I 've learned to debug open source tools because of my exposure to cygwin mailing lists. I started out tinkering with the less than 100k cygapps source codes so it would be easier to read them. I'm thinking that one day, I'd contribute one small package to cygwin or maintain some small package, or whatever.

In any case, you cygwin guys are the funniest, the coolest, and the best. The best, the best, the best! :)

Cywin-talk, the best! :)

Best Regards,

Carlo

--