Re: questions on ./configure

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 05:14:52PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:

Everyone knows that running ./configure when starting to build a software may take some time. Does anyone know how to re-run ./configure such that it skips the part that has been tested before?

For example, the following configure output is taken from trying to configure coreutils for cygwin. I believe the following checks could be skipped, right? If so, how is it done?

You know, I knew it would happen eventually. You're using this list
because you apparently can't be bothered to read documentation or find
an appropriate mailing list for your questions.

Yup, http://cygwin.com/lists.html

This list is nice. I try to look for what's needed and if I can't find it, I try it out here.

Since this is the cygwin-talk list, I feel rather confident just making
this observation and offering nothing else useful by way of a reply...

*pause*

Oh, all right. How about typing "configure --help" and reading the first
four or five lines?

Great! Thanks for the help. I really never bothered ever reading the first four or five lines. In any case, that's one thing that's good with you CGF, they say you're mean and this and that, but I don't really care since you've always been very helpful. I've subscribed at the main mailing list since 2002 and your meannness and the rest of the gang's "follow the leader's meanness" makes the list very entertaining. The number one thing you could get from the cygwin list is help. The number two thing is entertainment.

So, to get back to the thread, configure's first 5 lines indicate setting the environment variables. The environment variables are:

<config snippet>
Some influential environment variables:
 DEFAULT_POSIX2_VERSION
             POSIX version to default to; see 'config.hin'.
 CC          C compiler command
 CFLAGS      C compiler flags
 LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
             nonstandard directory <lib dir>
 CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
             headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
 CPP         C preprocessor
</config snippet>

However, it's not indicative of what to disable. For example, how do you prevent checks for the following:

checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes