This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
- From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
- To: "'i need a new umbrella'" <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 17:46:54 +0100
- Subject: RE: Hippos
- Reply-to: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
>From: Williams, Gerald S (Jerry)
>Sent: 20 May 2005 17:39
> Hippo anecdote:
> I was the "mystery reader" for my son's kindergarten class
> this week and the first book I read happened to contain a
> picture of a hippo. My son blurts out that "hippos are
> dangerous" which I had to confirm (while discouraging such
> I may be mistaken, but I think the other students and the
> teacher looked at us both a bit funny after hearing that
> we considered hippos dangerous.
> Sometimes too much knowledge is not a good thing. :-)
Rather than _explain_ that hippos are dangerous, what you should have done
was *demonstrated* that hippos are dangerous.
Dropping one on somebody from a very great height is usually a
sufficiently effective demonstration of this fact to convince even the most
hardened of skeptics... :)
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....
- From: Williams, Gerald S \(Jerry\)