This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
- From: One Angry User <angry at lusers dot org>
- To: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:57:52 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: RE: Hippos
- References: <SERRANOOdutox7nyeKz000000aa@SERRANO.CAM.ARTIMI.COM>
- Reply-to: Talk Amongst Yourselves <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Reply-to: Blaaab Babble Boogle Bop <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On Fri, 20 May 2005, Dave Korn's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
> ----Original Message----
> >From: Williams, Gerald S (Jerry)
> >Sent: 20 May 2005 17:39
> > Hippo anecdote:
> > I was the "mystery reader" for my son's kindergarten class
> > this week and the first book I read happened to contain a
> > picture of a hippo. My son blurts out that "hippos are
> > dangerous" which I had to confirm (while discouraging such
> > outbursts).
> > I may be mistaken, but I think the other students and the
> > teacher looked at us both a bit funny after hearing that
> > we considered hippos dangerous.
> > Sometimes too much knowledge is not a good thing. :-)
> Rather than _explain_ that hippos are dangerous, what you should have done
> was *demonstrated* that hippos are dangerous.
> Dropping one on somebody from a very great height is usually a
> sufficiently effective demonstration of this fact to convince even the most
> hardened of skeptics... :)
And, of course, even the children would understand the old parable about
hippos' poor vision.