This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: Serious performance problems (malloc related?)
- From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu>
- To: The Cygwin-Talk Maligning List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:55:50 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: Serious performance problems (malloc related?)
- References: <3D848382FB72E249812901444C6BDB1D03E04FD3@exchange.timesys.com><20050602190022.GG6597@trixie.casa.cgf.cx> <firstname.lastname@example.org><20050602195048.GD8890@trixie.casa.cgf.cx>
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maligning List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:39:17PM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>I am leery of doing things this way since that means that the only
> >>people capable of writing code for cygwin are the people who understand
> >>Nt* calls. That is a subset of the already small number of people who
> >>understand the UNIX and Windows APIs well enough to work on Cygwin.
> >You mean, like 2? (Err, 3. I mean, 4, or maybe 5..)
> >I'm not sure this is a huge problem, you know..
> Just take a look at the number of people who have contributed to
> cygwin-patches in the last year or so. I wouldn't want to scare away
> the people who contribute trivial patches because they can't find any
> documentation on "NtCreateFile".
> I suppose *we* could produce documentation on the Nt* functions but
> that's also a support burden.
If the Cygwin team had to write 9x wrappers for the Nt* functions, some
documentation would have to be part of the wrappers, wouldn't it? Even if
it's pointers to MSDN in the comments before those functions, that would
be pretty helpful.
> OTOH, "leery" doesn't mean "it will never happen". This is just one
> of many things to consider when making a major change like this.
It's a tempting change, though... :-)
|\ _,,,---,,_ email@example.com
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ firstname.lastname@example.org
|,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!
"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT