This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
OoC Ironic assessment (was Serious performance problems (malloc related?))
- From: Linda W <cygwin at tlinx dot org>
- To: cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com
- Cc: dave dot korn at artimi dot com
- Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:22:50 -0700
- Subject: OoC Ironic assessment (was Serious performance problems (malloc related?))
- References: <SERRANO03BzObGeODBp00000256@SERRANO.CAM.ARTIMI.COM>
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maligning List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
OoC! OoC!!! (Out of Context) and poppycock! I didn't speculate on the
problem, I speculated what made Window's 'File-Open's so slow.
This is a known problem. It wasn't speculation about what cygwin was
Unless, you are asserting that I haven't instrumented WinXP
to find it's performance bottlenecks, but that would hardly be
necessary to comment on performance issues concerning POSIX emulation
vs. native performance.
Wind me up, you are trying, me thinks. *Plblblb*
Dave Korn wrote:
From: Linda W
Sent: 02 June 2005 10:26
Christopher Faylor wrote:
Yep. This is pretty much what I expected. Now we'll see a stream of
people commenting on slowness and speculating on the cause without
spending any time to actually figure out what the cause might be.
Think of what a hero you'll be if you figure out a way to improve
One area that I've noticed ... [ !...SNIP...! comment on slowness ] ...
... I suspect [ !...SNIP...! speculation on cause without time spent
figuring out what the cause might be ] ...
... But if the cygwin.dll could [ !...SNIP...! heroic attempt to figure
out a way to improve cygwin's "slowness" ] ...
Wow! Who ever said Americans don't get irony? That was perfect! And