Re: file not working on executables?

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Sep  8 23:12, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> > > From: Corinna Vinschen
> > [snip]
> > > You should not mount the whole Cygwin tree in textmode, it
> > > will always give trouble when you expect it the least.
> >
> > I've had everything mounted as text for years, and the only trouble
> > I've ever had is not related to the existence of textmode mounts...
>
> You're a lucky guy that you don't have problems with textmode mounts but
> from my point of view, CRLF lineendings are just insane and dealing with
> them in libraries and applications is a real PITA.

Unfortunately, the choice between using and not using text mounts is
rather akin to the choice of whether to jump out of a burning building in
the dead of winter -- damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  It's
really a question of what matter of death you prefer.  As anyone who's
ever tried to use Eclipse with Cygwin's cvs will tell you, it's certainly
possible to use a binary mount in those circumstances, but it's much more
of a PITA than using textmode mounts would provide.  OTOH, it's my
impression that most of the time textmode mounts are chosen out of some
misguided notion of "compatibility with Windows" (yes, I heard exactly
that explanation at some point).

I agree with Gary that textmode mounts aren't going away anytime soon (if
ever).  I also agree with Corinna that giving all users an easy choice is
bad.

It would be nice to have textmode mount choice in setup, but hidden a few
clicks away in the "Advanced" dialog.  That way, users who know what
they're doing can still do everything from one place (i.e., setup), and
users who don't will not be tempted to "be more compatible with Windows".

FWIW, the "Advanced" dialog is on my setup TODO list, right after the
accessible chooser. O:-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/