FW: Call for testing Cygwin snapshot

On 02 May 2006 17:21, Steven Hartland wrote:

  Ahh, the power of the subconscious....

> Hopefully Corinna can find some more time in his very busy schedule

  How else could anyone not be brought up short by the cognitive dissonance of
writing 'his' just after a very feminine name (it even ends in an 'a') if not
for the power of the subconscious to inflict its (often quite prejudiced)
preconceptions on our waking thoughts?!

> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the
> person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the
> recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise
> disseminating it or any information contained in it.

  Hey!  Multiplay!  Prohibit *this*!

                    ---
                   !   !
                   !   !
                   !   !
                   !   !
               ----!   !----
          ----!    !   !    !
         !    !    !   !    !    --
         !    !    !   !    !   /  !
          !                 !  /   !
          !                  !/   /
           !                     /
           !                    /
            !                 /
             !              /

  It is, of course, completely bogus to suggest that just by saying so, an
individual or company can bind any random individual to a one-sided
contractual obligation without their explicit initial prior consent.  Hence
the statement claiming that the recipient " .. IS ... " prohibited from all
that stuff is a lie.

  Would *you* do business with a firm that prints a blatant lie at the bottom
of all its stationery?  Not me.

> In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
> telephone (023) 8024 3137
> or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.

  How is it even possible to "return" an email?  Sure, I can forward them a
*copy* of it, but then I still have the original and have made now one /extra/
copy.  Some dumbass lawyer has insisted on this wording without realising the
utter nonsensical category error they are committing.  I suppose this is a PHB
thing:

  "Oops, I've received a misdirected email... I'd better print it out and
stick it in the post back to them.  <sound of mental cogs grinding rustily>
Hey, I know!  <ping!>  I'll fax it to them instead - that'll be even faster!"
<wanders off pleased with self>