RE: life expectancy of gcc 3.x

On 02 August 2006 15:15, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 09:05:03AM -0500, Charles D. Russell wrote:
>> Would anybody venture an educated guess how much longer gcc 3.x (and
>> hence g77) will be supported by cygwin?  gfortran does not seem to offer
>> as many options as g77 for managing archaic code (e.g. from netlib).
>
> Just as a rough seat-of-the pants guesstimate, I'd say that it would be
> supported for at least another 5.99321719 months.
>
> cgf

  I'm in no immediate hurry to retire 3.x, as I still don't feel the 4.x
series has stabilised enough to really count as production-ready yet, so you
can reasonably expect 3.x to remain available for a good time yet, and when I
do feel ready to release a 4.x version I'll keep a 3.x version as the 'prev'
version for a fair while after that too.

  OTOH a hippo might fall on it at any moment.  I can't predict what might
happen then.