RE: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 30 August 2006 16:19, mwoehlke wrote:
>
>> One Angry User wrote:
>>> On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith
>>> Christian's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>>> Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for
>>> wimps who read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now,
>>> there's real configurability!
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Command line options are wonderful... for console programs. GUI's are
>> for writing apps such that settings can be discovered /without/
>> having to resort to the doc. I suppose you think Firefox,
>> Thunderbird, IE, etc. need manpages, and should only be configurable
>> via command-line switches?
>
>   It's not as orthogonal as all that.  Sometimes a GUI program isn't
> just a GUI program.  Sometimes, even though it has a GUI, all you
> want to do is script it - at which point, you *have* to have
> command-line options.
>
>   So, command line options are wonderful for GUI programs *as well
> as* console programs.  After all, consider the ever-popular post that
> goes ...

Actually, one problem that console (from Console-2.00b120-Beta.zip) has
is that one cannot directly give command line options to the shells that
console loads.  So if one wants the shell to be
	c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -i
or
	c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /f:on /e:on
one MUST run the shell from a batch file.

- Barry