This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
RE: Microsoft acquired SysInternals?
- From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
- To: "'sucks to be MS'" <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:47:17 -0000
- Subject: RE: Microsoft acquired SysInternals?
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On 12 November 2006 05:53, Robert Pendell wrote:
> Since the older software is still under the older license do you guys
> think it would be safe for me to re-distribute the software on my own site?
No. Neither license permits redistribution.
> On a, sort of, unreleated note here. Did anyone notice that NTFSDOS
> disappeared? I still have an older copy of it. The read only version
> but that has always worked out fine. Can't find it on the "new"
> sysinternals site.
I didn't notice that, but I did spot something about how they weren't going
to support the entire tool range. I see TDIMon is missing as well. Ah,
here's the rationale for not migrating NTFSDOS:
Downloads: We will be migrating most Sysinternals tools to Microsoft.Com
Downloads which has additional bandwidth for a better end-user experience. At
Mark?s direction, we are not going to be migrating 100% of the tools for one
of the following reasons:
1. It only worked on Win9x or DOS ? the number of downloads didn?t justify
the migration. These were eventually going to be removed from Sysinternals
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....