This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: CPAN works fine w/http proxy on Cygwin
- From: Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad at users dot sourceforge dot net>
- To: cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com
- Cc: cygwin at tlinx dot org
- Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:20:52 -0600
- Subject: Re: CPAN works fine w/http proxy on Cygwin
- Original-to: Sigh. TOFU bad. Period.
- References: <email@example.com> <Pine.GSO.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <45A5FF37.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
Linda Walsh made me read TOFU:
** -- note, the important part of the message, the "response" or
"answer" comes first. The most current and relevant information
comes first. The more distant the history of a discussion,
the less important it usually becomes to the current participants.
The most relevant information is the context which is required for the
response to have any relevance or make any sense. You have made it more
difficult to find that information, thereby wasting my time.
Bottomposting wastes peoples' time as they are forced to scroll
down to find the beginning of the actual reply.
Did you have to scroll to read this? If so, your screen has less than 14
lines of text, which is pretty sad. On my screen, this /entire e-mail/
fits on screen. Twice. With space left over.
*Excessive quoting* wastes people time as it forces scrolling. With a
non-tiny screen and fast scrolling (like mouse wheels, or keyboards
where the arrows already Do The Right Thing) takes a fraction of a
second, *if* it is necessary. Oh, and making me hunt for what you were
replying to also wasted my time. So did writing this. So if you don't
believe me, GIYF (Google Is Your Friend). And since the policy of this
list is PQORU (partial-quote over, reply under) and not TOFU, please
<insert Larry Hall's signature here>