RE: Idle Friday lunchtime musing

On 10 August 2007 16:32, Phil Betts wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote on Friday, August 10, 2007 3:38 PM::
>
>>   I wouldn't call a hippo "idle or foolish" if I were you!
>
> Hippos, being intelligent creatures can, I'm sure, discern the
> difference between _talking_ foolishly and _being_ foolish -
> unlike most spouses (from what I hear at the pub).
>

> Phil

  Hippos, being intelligent creatures most certainly can, I'm sure you're
right, discern these subtle differences.  However, being, as they are also,
bad-tempered and irritable creatures, with a dangerous turn of speed and the
tendency to bite crocodiles in half with a single SNAP of their powerful jaws,
I'm sure they're quite capable of not caring about such subtle distinctions
and just going for you anyway, in much the same way as humans are intelligent
creatures who can discern perfectly well that you didn't spill their pint, but
are capable of overlooking that minor issue in favour of taking a swing at
you.

  Anyway, where on earth did you manage to find a pub that has lots of hippos
for customers?  Most I know won't let them in even if you bring your own!
(Might be different if the hippo was buying, I suppose, but normally when it
gets to their round they just look at you and go "No pockets, no wallet" and
you know you're going to have to get them in again ...)