RE: Compressing hippos really fast

On 04 March 2008 15:43, oh.no.my@quotefix.is.borken wrote:

> does anybody know about a compression tool which is above all capable of
> compressing really fast?  The compression ratio is only a mild concern,
> it's rather more important that the tool is not acting as bottleneck
> when compressing files which are badly compressable.  Unfortunately
> the usual compression tools are rather interested in a good compression
> than in a good speed when streaming lots of data.

  Hmm, I came across something much like this lately while researching
compression: take a look at LZO.  It focusses more on uncompression speed
but is also supposed to be fairly fast for compression.

http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/

  It should be possible to use lzop as an inline filter compressor, more or
less as a direct drop-in replacement for gzip

http://www.lzop.org/