Re: bug in mbrtowc?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> That's a bug in the newlib function __utf8_mbtowc.  I'm really surprised
> that this bug has never been reported before since it's in the code for
> years, probably since it has been introduced in 2002.

  I'm not terribly surprised.  How much use for i18n is there in the typical
embedded microcontroller?  We're probably the first project to really use this
code in anger(*); cf. also how we still shake out the odd longstanding
floating point bug in newlib, another area that is significantly less-used in
tiny embedded apps than on desktop workstations.

(*) - Yes, I know about newlib-based linux.  I don't suppose anyone logging
into a single board embedded linux dev kit bothers to set their LC_ALL either!