Re: tip for blind users of setup.exe regarding package installation

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 06:11:55AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote on March 06, 2012, at 10:45 PM
>>On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 08:55:01PM -0500, Adam Puckett wrote:
>>>I put it here to avoid being told to TITTTL.
>>
>>Uh, no.  Tips on how to use Cygwin are certainly appropriate
>>for the Cygwin list.
>
>Whatever one does, it is always wrong.  :-)

If you can't actually talk in an informative way about a cygwin utility
on the cygwin list then what in the world would the cygwin list be for?
Sending "git doesn't work"/"You need to rebase" mantras?

Yeah, the rules are SO hard.

If you want to moan and complain about a cygwin personality, take it to
the talk list.

If you want to talk about the great pizza that you had last night while
running setup.exe, take it to the talk list.

If you want to tell everyone the story of your life and how it came
about that you are running cygwin, take it to the talk list.

If you want to talk about hippos and their evolutionary relationship to
other animals, take it to the talk list.

If you want to make a sarcastic comment about something somebody said on
the cygwin list, well, you could just respond to it on the cygwin list
or you could take it to the talk list.  You'll probably be asked to
take it here eventually if you keep it up.

But, then, I don't recall a time in the last several months that someone
was actually told to take a discussion here.  So it isn't like people
are constantly being cruelly persecuted by mean mailing list snobs
attempting to enforce obscure rules.