Re: Updated: ed-1.6-1

Long ago (circa 1979), and far away (Ball Labs, CO), I wrote a
text retrieval system in 'ed'. Shortly thereafter, I started
using MicroEmacs.

I later replaced 'ed' in the retrieval system with  'ex' and awk. (I
always disliked 'vi' -- the visual editor-wannabe.)

Before that, circa 1975, I used a programmable forms letter
system, called 'fed' on a pre-BSD (PDP 11-45?, at NASA Ames) that
used 'ed' for a very flexible form letter system, that I used to
get my job at Bell Labs.

Now, I use TextPad. Nice, but all but dead, and only single
platform -- Windows -- and missing some key features.

BTW, 'ed' is not, by far, the worst editor that I ever used.
'edlin' was worse, by far, 'and 'Inted' on the HP 21MX, was the
very worst.

Also, 'learn', a very clever computer learning system for UNIX
(TM -- some damn bunch of ganiff lawyers ;-)) and the shell
(Bourne), by Kernighan, was based, in part, on 'ed'.

'ed' -- long may it wave[r]. ;-)

On 4/23/2012 9:33 PM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote on April 23, 2012 7:17 PM

>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 06:44:23PM -0400, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:

>>> Christopher Faylor wrote on Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:59 PM

My guess is they added a new '--ultra-terse' feedback option. ;-)
Although, fittingly, I'm speechless in trying to describe what
that might mean.

I rejoice! >8-}

>>> They're still updating ed!?!?!

>> I was pretty surprised too. I couldn't believe I'd missed several revisions.

>> Who in the world still uses ed?

> I was thinking more along the lines of "They are still finding bugs!?!?!" and
> "They are still adding features!?!?!"

> Can we agree that ed is a better exemplar of software that just won't go away than B20?

> - Barry
>   Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.

:wq

Lee

--
-- Lee Rothstein

Disclaimer: Statements made herein, are, best (worst?) case, the
            opinions of Lee Rothstein -- if anyone at all. ;-)