Re: hardware upgrade status

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 01:46:19PM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 19/03/2013 21:30, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> ----- Forwarded message from "Frank Ch. Eigler" -----
>>
>> From: "Frank Ch. Eigler"
>> To: Sourceware Overseers
>> Subject: sourceware hardware transition plan, part 1/N
>> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 17:46:32 -0400
>
>> I would like to move from unusual/obsolete services to mainstream ones if
>> at all possible, for simplicity of administration, and to reduce exposure
>> to vulnerabilities.
>
>>         old:                          new:
>
>>         djbdns                        bind
>

>  Heh.  That's a questionable statement, at best:
>
>http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-9069/product_id-16058/D.j.bernstein-Djbdns.html

Yeah, in the djbdns case, it's more of a situation of not wanting to
stick with an arcane file layout.  Most of us have more experience
dealing with bind.  I've found the djbdns stuff hard to use.

The original plan was to get rid of all of the djb utilities but you
may have noticed that we're still using qmail and ezmlm.  I'm very
comfortable with them.

>BTW, was it totally irrational of me to be so chuffed to see CGF using
>the term "administering" a server rather than "administrating"?  I
>really dislike the latter usage.

I'm gratificated that you approve.

cgf