RE: Frame Buffer X server

> Well, I apparently can't post to the list....
>
>   Your mail server is listed in an RBL, so I will not
> accept mail from you.
>   You should contact your local mail administrators and
> get your mail
>   server fixed.  For more information about my use of the
> RBLs, see
>         http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/#rbls
>
> So I figured I'd try emailing you directly....

No problems, you can e-mail directly. I would be glad to foward your
message to the list.  However, I suggest you also complain to your
System Administrators.  RBL denial means, your SMTP server is list
in ORBS (http://www.orbs.org).  A SMTP server can only get listed in
ORBS if its System Administrators are running it as an Open Relay
System
which had been used by Spamers for sending out junk mails.  ORBS
usually send three warnings to System Administrators after they
locate an Open Relay SMTP server which had been abused by spamers.
If System Admins do not fix it then ORBS black list it.  Any
organization subscribing to ORBS database reject the mails from a
SMTP server which is in ORBS.
Cygnus mirror ORBS to control junk mails to its Mailing List.

> I'm having great difficulty grasping the status of this
> project.  It kind
> of seems like there's a few different possibilities where
> we could be real
> close to having a functional X server under cygwin.. but
> I'm not sure.

The current status is the we need a driver which can provide
/dev/mmap and /dev/iopl, like Holger Veit's driver for OS/2.  OS/2
had a similar situation, like Windows, where OS takes the ownership
of the devices.  He wrote a driver to circumvent this.  I will
posting a copy of one of his message under "Status" on the web page.
His mail explains how and what he accomplished by writing
xf86sup.sys driver.

The Xfree86 code compiles now, but produces non-functional X-server
executable.  We need to add some code in
/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support, which could features
"like"
Holger Veit's driver.

> I'm not familiar w/ frame buffer X servers... I'm aware
> they exist, and
> function a bit differently than normal.

Xvfb server is not a real X-server... means you cannot use it as a
substitute for X-server.  It is a virtual frame buffer server and
was written by MIT folks, not XFree86 folks.  It is used for testing
etc.

> I'd like to see the entire output of that... it almost
> looks like you need
> to fix your configuration file... do you have one ?

Xvfb does not use XF86Config file.  You usually use it by by
starting it on a second screen, i.e.

xvfb :1 -screen xxxxxx

Until we cannot get the primary Xserver excutable functional XVFB is
not of much use.

> Would be nice to get some people who are involved in
> coding the main
> distribution of XFre86 into this project.  Have you tried
> contacting any ?

I agree... BUT, I am on the XFree86 Developers list.  The developers
who developed XFree86 for Unices, on XFree86 team, are not
interested in Win32.  They lack the knowledge of Win32 therefore, it
is my responsibility to get it work.

Regards
Suhaib