RE: Now a XFree86 4.0 based X-server

> > > Congratulations!  It sounds like things are starting to take off here!
> > >

> Congratulations from me, too!

Thanks

> > The X-servers released yesterday are not Beta any more.  I marked them
> > as Versions 1.0.
> >
> > Someone posted a couple of weeks ago that he was willing to help put
> > together
> > a FAQ in HTML and PDF, formats.  Can he contact me again please?
> >

> That was me. Please send me informations about the Xservers. I'm writing a
> document with texinfo where we can put the information. It could be easy
> converted in HTML,PDF,PS and so on.
>
> The keyinformations I need are (eg. Xvnc):

I am going to insert my answers after your questions:

> Name of Server-bin:
>     Xvnc.exe

XGDI.exe, DXWIN32.exe  (XVNC.exe is no more relevant.  It is renamed to XGDI
after altering most of the vnc code)
XWIN.exe (XWIN.exe is a DirectX based X-server based upon XFree86 4.0
and compiled using Cygwin v 1.1.1 and GCC 2.95.2)

> Location:
>     /usr/X11R6/bin/
> Required DLL's :

for XDGI and DXWIn32,: /usr/bin/X11

for XWIN.exe (/usr/X11R6/bin)

All the DLLs from /usr/bin/X11 for XGDI and DXWIN32

ALL the DLLs from /usr/X11R6/bin for XWIN

> Important Parameter/Example:
>     <screen>    :0
>     -fp            /usr/X11R6/libX11/fonts/misc
> Important Files:
>     rbg.txt  (is in /usr/X11r6/X11/rbg.txt, but should be copied to
> /usr/lib/X11/rbg.txt)

Ummm... -fp should not be needed if for:

XGDI.exe and DXWIN32.exe the fonts are not compressed and installed in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts.
That is where these executable searches for ungzipped fonts.

For XWIN.exe /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts (fonts can be gzipped or ungzipped but
must be
installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts)

> Gotchas:
>     Fonts should not be compressed. (if they are, use gunzip and
> mkfontsdir).
>     Fonts and rbg.txt should be on the same Drive like the excutable.

Yes.  See above for directories requirements for fonts.

> I get the information about Xvnc via trial and error, if they are wrong
> please  corrrect me. It seems that the integration in the
> cygwin-environment
> is not complet. We should recomend that the cygwin-root directory
> is identical
> with an Dos-Drive-Root.

The XGDI and DXWIN32 are MSVC (Microsoft Visual C/C++) compiled applications
and
should operate without cygwin1.dll.

XWIN.exe needs Cygwin1.dll from version 1.1.1. and should be installed under
/usr/X11R6.
If you install Cygwin in C:\Cygwin and put XFree86 4.0 ports in
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6
and add /usr/X11R6/bin to your PATH,
then it should be almost inegrated into Cygwin ENV.  Most of configure
scripts
should be able to find the X11R6 libs adn headers in /usr/X11R6