RE: Speed of XFree86 4.0 based X-server

> Excuse me for my intervention and please accept my
> congratulation with  new X server release.

You are welcome any time!

> I was able to install and run it somehow. However,
> I see that is very *slow*. Few month ago I tried
> GDI based server; it worked just fine but speed
> was unacceptable.
>
> I takes few seconds just to drag a window. Menu
> appears like a half of second. I tried both
> (GDI and DirectX)  servers and speed is approximately
> the same. Am I right or I do something wrong?

Did you try Xwin.exe from xc-4-binaries directory?

The speed on GDI and DXWIn32 servers from contrib could
be slow, because both use remote framebuffer, which is a
compromise between speed and stability, i.e to get
MSVC X-servers compiled and stable enough to work.  These
servers do not use anything from XFree86 4.0 code therefore
their performance could not be compared to XFree86 on a Linux
box.

XWin.exe use code from XF86 4.0 and can be compared
to XF86 on Linux.  However, [please note, that most of
the XFree86 extensions do not compile MSVC, therefore
Cygwin Development Tools were chosen.  Cygwin1 UNIX
emulation layer does affect performance somehow and
can cause a loss of performance of slower CPU's.

> I am running Pentium II 200 Mhz with Matrox 2 MB
> card. Xfree linux server runs perfectly - no
> complains about speed, faster then Windows NT.
>
> Did I do something wrong? What is your speed
> comparison with Linux/BSD X free servers?

No, You did not do anything wrong.

Well, I could not compare XF between Linux
and Windows at my machine.  I am using
Pentium III 1000 MHZ, with nVidia Geforece2 64 MB
video RAM. Performance loss on my CPU is a matter
of a few seconds, which cannot be noticed.

Regards
Suhaib