Re: XWin keyboard change

Here is a simple answewr on how to change the keymap.

By default X always inherit US Keyboard.
To use a non-US Keyboard, you need to use
xmodmap.exe from /usr/X11R6/bin and generate a Xmodmap
file for your locale.  Put the custom Xmodmap
in /usr/lib/X11 and to
startxwin.bat file add this following

sysmodmap=/usr/lib/X11/Xmodmap

Below is an example of Xmodmap from Internet for a
Hebrew Keyboard.  You can check the URL too
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hebrew-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.3

It has some very useful info on customizing a keyboard
for X.  In general you could find a lot of information
on how to change keyboard settings for X, if you do a
Internet search of keywords "change X-xwindows
keyboard"

I hope this help you get your French keyboard working.

Suhaib

To do that we need to use xmodmap. Following is a
Xmodmap which also corrects the bugs with the "Num
Lock":

-----
! Hebrew key mapping for XFree86 (for US/Hebrew
keyboards).
! By Vlad Moseanu
!
keysym Alt_L = Mode_switch
keysym Alt_R = Mode_switch
!clear Mod1
clear Mod2
!add Mod1 = Alt_L
add Mod2 = Mode_switch
!
! Set the mapping for each key
!
keycode   8 =
keycode   9 = Escape
keycode  10 = 1 exclam
keycode  11 = 2 at
keycode  12 = 3 numbersign
keycode  13 = 4 dollar
keycode  14 = 5 percent
keycode  15 = 6 asciicircum
keycode  16 = 7 ampersand
keycode  17 = 8 asterisk
keycode  18 = 9 parenleft
keycode  19 = 0 parenright
keycode  20 = minus underscore
keycode  21 = equal plus
keycode  22 = Delete
keycode  23 = Tab
keycode  24 = q Q slash Q
keycode  25 = w W apostrophe W
keycode  26 = e E 0x00f7 E
keycode  27 = r R 0x00f8 R
keycode  28 = t T 0x00e0 T
keycode  29 = y Y 0x00e8 Y
keycode  30 = u U 0x00e5 U
keycode  31 = i I 0x00ef I
keycode  32 = o O 0x00ed O
keycode  33 = p P 0x00f4 P
keycode  34 = bracketleft braceleft
keycode  35 = bracketright braceright
keycode  36 = Return
keycode  37 = Control_L
keycode  38 = a A 0x00f9 A
keycode  39 = s S 0x00e3 S
keycode  40 = d D 0x00e2 D
keycode  41 = f F 0x00eb F
keycode  42 = g G 0x00f2 G
keycode  43 = h H 0x00e9 H
keycode  44 = j J 0x00e7 J
keycode  45 = k K 0x00ec K
keycode  46 = l L 0x00ea L
keycode  47 = semicolon colon 0x00f3 colon
keycode  48 = apostrophe quotedbl comma quotedbl
keycode  49 = grave asciitilde semicolon asciitilde
keycode  50 = Shift_L
keycode  51 = backslash bar
keycode  52 = z Z 0x00e6 Z
keycode  53 = x X 0x00f1 X
keycode  54 = c C 0x00e1 C
keycode  55 = v V 0x00e4 V
keycode  56 = b B 0x00f0 B
keycode  57 = n N 0x00ee N
keycode  58 = m M 0x00f6 M
keycode  59 = comma less 0x00fa less
keycode  60 = period greater 0x00f5 greater
keycode  61 = slash question period question
keycode  62 = Shift_R
keycode  63 = KP_Multiply
!keycode  64 = Alt_L Meta_L
keycode  65 = space
keycode  66 = Caps_Lock
keycode  67 = F1
keycode  68 = F2
keycode  69 = F3
keycode  70 = F4
keycode  71 = F5
keycode  72 = F6
keycode  73 = F7
keycode  74 = F8
keycode  75 = Escape
keycode  76 = F10
keycode  77 = Num_Lock
keycode  78 = Scroll_Lock
keycode  79 = KP_7
keycode  80 = KP_8
keycode  81 = KP_9
keycode  82 = KP_Subtract
keycode  83 = KP_4
keycode  84 = KP_5
keycode  85 = KP_6
keycode  86 = KP_Add
keycode  87 = KP_1
keycode  88 = KP_2
keycode  89 = KP_3
keycode  90 = KP_0
keycode  91 = KP_Decimal
keycode  92 = Sys_Req
keycode  93 =
keycode  94 =
keycode  95 = F11
keycode  96 = F12
keycode  97 = Home
keycode  98 = Up
keycode  99 = Prior
keycode 100 = Left
keycode 101 = Begin
keycode 102 = Right
keycode 103 = End
keycode 104 = Down
keycode 105 = Next
keycode 106 = Insert
keycode 107 = Delete
keycode 108 = KP_Enter
keycode 109 = Control_R
keycode 110 = Pause
keycode 111 = Print
keycode 112 = KP_Divide
!keycode 113 = Alt_R Meta_R
keycode 114 = Break
!
! This xmodmap file can be use to set the correct
numerical keypad mapping
! when "ServerNumLock" is set in the XF86Config file.
In this case the
! Xserver takes care of the Num Lock processing.
!
!
keycode  136 = KP_7
keycode  137 = KP_8