RE: Getting New XServers to Work

You may be runing in some sort of \r\n\ issues,
which had been dicussed recently at Cygwin mailing list.

Are you using binmode or text mode?
do a mount and see what it says.

The mount points would be an issue with only window manager (twm.exe)
and xterm.  Dxwin32.exe itself is MSVC compiled executable
and does not use anything from Cygwin.

You should have the following directory structure, assuming you installed it
on a c:\drive

c:\usr
c:\usr\bin\X11
c:\usr\lib
c:\usr\lib\X11
c:\usr\lib\X11\fonts and other subdirectories.

C:\usr must be the top level directory, otherwise
X-server would complain about /usr/lib/X11 and fonts
and will fail to start.

Can you try the follwoing from a DOS prompt?

cd to c:\usr\bin\X11  and type
startdx

if DXWin32 fails to start then try:

XWin -fp c:\usr\lib\X11\fonts :0

no need to set the PATH etc because startdx.bat did that for you
when you first executed it.

if -fp option works, then edit the startdx.bat file and add it to
start XWin :0.

Suhaib