Error running freeciv on dxwin32

I am having problems running freeciv using the dxwin32 X server.  The server
starts up fine.  Everything seems to be running.  I then run the freeciv
client and get the following messages:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 205 (gdk_font_ref): assertion `font
!=NULL' failed.

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 205 (gdk_font_ref): assertion `font
!=NULL' failed.
1: Could not open file "/g/Program files/Freeciv/./.civclientrc"
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).

The X server is still running - it has not been killed or shutdown.  The
freeciv client stops at this point.  I have attempted to install all of the
fonts in xfree86-fonts.tar, but the X server doesn't seem to see them.  My
impression is that the dxwin32 will not work with compressed fonts (is this
true?).  If I need to install more fonts, how do I go about doing that?
I've been playing around with the fonts.alias and fonts.dir files and
decompressing various fonts, but I'm having no luck.