RE: Error running freeciv on dxwin32

> I've tried an experiment where I tried running the freeciv client from the
> linux system.  It doesn't complain about missing fonts but it
> does give the
> same message about the X connection to 10.0.1.151:0.0 broken
> (explicit kill
> or server shutdown).  I tried several window managers and I get the same
> result (I guess that's not unexpected).  For some reason freeciv
> thinks that
> the X connection is broken.  The X server is still up and running.  Maybe
> it's because the X server is slow and takes too long to respond to the
> freeciv client.

If Client is having problems to connect to X, it might give
missleading error message, that X died or not available.

> I have been completely unsuccessful in running the XWin X server.  Is XWin
> faster than DXWin32 or is there no difference?

DXWin32 uses remote framebuffer, which can cause slow speed when using
remote display.  Remote buffer code was borrowed from VNC.  VNC itself very
slow
on Win32.

XWin32 using fb from XFree86.  It may perform faster, but underlying Cygwin
emulation
may effect speed.  On my PIII 1000 MHz, I cannot notice the speed
differences.
I have to get hold of a slower PC and do some testing.

Suhaib