RE: Error running freeciv on dxwin32

> The Freeciv client works fine on the Linux box when connecting to
> the Linux
> X server.  I even had it working using VNC.  It's only when I try
> to run the
> Xfree86 X server on my windows machine and then run Freeciv 1.10.0 on my
> windows machine or run Freeciv 1.8.0 on the Linux box with my
> display set to
> my windows machine that I get the error which aborts the client.
> When I run
> Freeciv on the Linux box with my display set to my windows
> machine I can see
> the screen begin to display, but then it gives me the error about X server
> killed and stops.

Maybe it is looking for gzipped compressed fonts, like on Linux?
dxwin32 cannot handle compressed fonts, at the moment.  It uses
uncompressed fonts.

> > I use Exceed with the Freeciv client and everything works as expected.
> >

> I didn't want to pay $200 for an X server.  It sounds like there's still
> some things missing in the Xfree86 X server for windows.

By no means these are the final and the greatest X-servers.  This is release
1.0

> > The fonts that Freeciv uses can be redefined by the ruleset system
> > (I think), but it looks like it wants "10x20" and "8x16" by default.

You can take fonts from Linux, ungipped them then using mkfontdir and
bdftopcf
create your own.

> > These are usually in the misc font collection.
>
> I checked the misc font collection for Xfree86 and those fonts are there.

What does aliases file says in misc fonts directory.  default set to what?
These are text files and you should be able to edit them and set the default
font to
what your freeciv uses.

Suhaib