RE: Installing cygwin/xfree : it works !

> Hello Suhaib and others,
>
> Thank you very much for your help. I needed a long time to understand,
> but finally I got the good binaries. I am using the X-WinPro server and
> I tested xterm, xclock, vtwm and an old Unix graphic code : all are
> working perfectly without warnings.
>
> The only remaining problems are from time to time abnormal terminations
> when closing my graphic code or when  closing the X server, but I am
> using Windows98 and this seems to be its normal behaviour. I have also
> these problems with Windows applications.

Well, complain to M$.  Windows95/98 were full of 16-bit crap.

> I have read on the mailing list your comments about Xwin on Win95 and
> Win98. Not very optimist!

Beyond my ability to help.  Windows95/98 are mix and match of 16-bit
crap with some 32-bit.

>I have Windows98 but I don't like it because I
> don't find it very stable: it does not start always correctly and
> sometimes starting applications may fail. As I plan to test other X
> servers, could you suggest one which would not have too much trouble
> with Windows98?

Cannot help you with making Windows9x.  Complain to M$ or trash the
Windows98/95 and install Windows NT/2000.  Windows NT/2000 are "half-decent"
operating systems.

> And although this is not the subject of this mailing list, could you
> tell me what you think of Windows millenium ? Maybe I would make the
> step to update my system.

Windows Millenium (aka Win Me) is certainly better then Windows98/95... at
least kernel in it is a real 32-bit, as opposed to 16-bit crap in Win 9x
burried in so-called Kernel32.dll

Suhaib