RE: xterm crashes

> Thanks,
>
> I had installed the cygwin1.dll out of
> the cygwin-1.1.2.tar dated with 2000-06-08
> and this one crashes, but with the
> cygwin1-20000717.dll the xterm is now starting.

From the recent XFree86 distribution, I think cygwin1.dll from
July 17th snapshot would work better.  That is what I noticed in testing.
See thread dll_aloc::list at cygwin mailing list.

> But my second problem stays, the error message has
> changed a little bit:
>
> The exception Breakpoint
> A breakpoint has been reached
> (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x1406560
>
> I expect this is nothing else then a signal handler, which
> catches the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
>
> Is it valid to link an app. against the libX11.a with
> VC++ or am I doing stupid things?

You cannot link libX11.a with VC++.  You can link only Cygwin compiled
code using gcc which comes with Cygwin to libX11.a.

For MSVC there is http://win32-xfree.sourceforge.net
but that project is not any more active.  John Fortin
was interested in it but he left and others who promised
to provide development support disappeared.  I do not have enough
brain and time to sponsor and spear-head multiple projects.
Therefore I assume http://win32-xfree.sourceforge.net is
almost dead and might disappear.  You might grab the
libraries before from there before they vanish. Those
X11 librareis should link with VC++.

Suhaib